PRINCIPLES OF JESUS
What did Jesus want the world to know? We’ve selected seven primary teachings of Jesus - God’s curriculum for every person in the world.
The Principles of Jesus are designed for anyone who wants to know more about Jesus and wants to become more like Jesus. Anyone middle school aged and beyond can utilize this tool.
This is 7-lesson curriculum can be used by either an individual or group. Here are step-by-step suggestions for how to walk through them:
- Print: The Principles of Jesus workbook.
- Read, Meditate, and Memorize. Each lesson is headed by a question. Take time to read the memory verses located at the heading of each lesson, and put in effort to memorize at least one so that you. As you read (and re-read!) the passages, pay attention to the context of each one.
- Reflect and Respond. Each lesson includes study questions for the verses. Use the spaces provided after each question to record your reflections.
- Pray & Listen. Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit will be our teacher and will guide us into all truth (John 14:26, 16:13). Use the Pray & Listen prompts simply as guidelines for prayer. Take a couple minutes to quiet your heart and listen, and then write down what you hear. Feel free to modify or expand on these prompts as God leads you!
- Watch the video to further your understanding of the principle.
- Learn Together. What you can learn by studying Scripture is amplified in community. If you are walking through this study with others, ask them to share their answers and the revelations they receive in prayer.
- Teach It! Jesus commands us in Matthew 18:20, “Freely you have received; freely give.” When we learn something new, we should teach it to others. As you go through these seven lessons, begin to think of people with whom you could share what you’ve learned. Consider teaching a group yourself! As Paul wrote to his friend Timothy, “. . . the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses, entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others (2 Timothy 2:2).”
- For a more in-depth experience, or if you are teaching the Principles of Jesus, utilize the Teaching Guide for each principle.
The original content was taught by Doug Coe, who was a close follower of Jesus until his death in 2017. He taught these key principles to thousands over the course of his life, and many people have shared them with others. Two people greatly influenced by these principles are Doug Burleigh (Doug Coe’s son-in-law) and Jeff Vancil (who has been a close friend to both Dougs). Jeff has gone on to teach the principles to hundreds of others, and one of the young men he has discipled, Eddie Wang, captured each lesson in written format and created the Teaching Guides. The Centered team then took the Teaching Guides and created the Principles of Jesus workbook.
The great hope is that you will be encouraged to walk more closely with Jesus.